City, Country: Mergzgheryane, Tamelkante, Gourrama and Middelt, Morocco
French partner submitting the project description: Secours Islamique France (Islamic Relief France)
Project Owner: Secours Islamique France (Islamic Relief France)
Foreign partners: Islamic Relief Morocco
Dates of project: 2014
A few words on the project…
In this region of Morocco, schools in a number of rural douars (villages) have no basic infrastructure, particularly with regard to access to drinking water and toilet facilities. Islamic Relief France acted in 2014 in response to this situation.
Background or General project description
At the local level, many rural schools did not have basic infrastructure, particularly in terms of access to water and latrines.
At regional level, there are three main climatic zones:
• An area that is characterized by a semi continental Mediterranean climate, with cool, rainy winters and hot, dry summers and mainly located in the prefecture of Meknes, and the province of El Hajeb.
• A second area where winters are harsh and snowy, marked by large temperature amplitudes between summer and winter. It extends over the Middle Atlas Moulouya.
• A last desert climate zone, extending over the whole province of Er Rachidia and part of the province of Midelt, including Gourrama.
The goal is to support rural development in the province of Midelt while reducing the prevalence of waterborne diseases’ risk in the town of Gourrama and limiting the risk of dropping out, specifically the risk of dropout of girls.
New facilities for the local population achieved convincing results :
- Installation of public taps ;
- Development of protected wells ;
- Construction of sanitary facilities ;
- Development of campaigns to train and raise awareness among teachers about hygiene and environment protection. They will later transmit their new knowledge to their students.
Strengths of project
• 1024 direct beneficiaries including 692 students (4,152 indirect beneficiaries).
• The community of Tamelkante has access to clean and safe water.
• The environment is safer and cleaner for communities of Merzgheryane and Tamelkante and their livestock.
• Schools are provided with access to safe water and latrines according to Wash in school standards.
• Pupils correctly use the health infrastructure.
• In the Merzgheryane Douar, the behavior of beneficiaries has changed regarding the community water point. Inhabitants do not go to farer wells anymore but they made the cattle drink from the community water point. Another change, women and girls come here to do their laundry. The community water point has become a central place of community life.